Do all the other things, the ambitious things—travel, get rich, get famous, innovate, lead, fall in love, make and lose fortunes…but as you do, to the extent that you can, err in the direction of kindness. – George Saunders to Syracuse University in 2013
I don’t know about you, but I cannot wait to be that unstressed that I can write happy quotes like that. Yet here we are, three fourths done with senior year and it is time to put our money where our mouths are. We’re caught somewhere in this magical land stuck between never wanting this to end, wanting to get the hell out of here away from readings and blackboard, and wanting to figure out a plan so we don’t end up back at our high school job forever. Friends do not fret, we are all in this together. Here are some things we are all feeling.
- Being so proud that you finally stopped watching Riverdale and wondering if we can add that as an accomplishment on LinkedIn.
- Wondering how the kid you saw shotgunning off of a balcony at castle last Friday has a job before you do.
- Getting overwhelmed by the daily texts from your mom asking where they should be staying for graduation.
- Wondering how your diet turned into Tapingo’ing faculty instead of sitting down and eating there.
- Making jokes about how you regret signing up for the Cancun spring break trip as you post your 4th pic from there.
- Or posting spring break pics from places that weren’t Cancun highlighting the fact that you didn’t go to Cancun (the ultimate first world problems)
- “If I get one more email about the construction of the Arch…”
- Applying to any and every job that pops up on indeed.com as long as it says hiring and is offering real money. – Monopoly money not accepted.
- Writing down in your planner on Tuesday that you’re going to study for your 3 midterms on Thursday, as you walk into beer tour at Feagans squad deep.
- Still not being sure where Lyman Hall is.
- Ok no but seriously, Orange Seeds what is the Big Event?
- Wait, is the SA president James Franco or Angie Pati? Or is it the real James Franco…
- Getting emotional during the last home game because you realize that this place isn’t a school, it’s a community.
- Realizing when the first friend in your group gets a job just how close the end really is.
- Being determine to not hold back the last two months, because we’re ending this thing the same way we came in. Excited, Ratchet, Proud and rapping Bobby Schmurda on the DJ’s Floor.